Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Crab and Avocado

Last night I dropped my son off with my mate and stepdaughter,took my daughter to soccer practice and took a long walk along the paved paths that wander through the soccer park. The sky was clear and blue, the temperature was warm but not evilly so, and I listened to Squeeze on my iPod and tried not to sing loudly enough to startle the joggers around me. When the girl and I got home, I made myself this very simple dinner that's so delicious I can hardly bear it. Thin white bread, toasted and brushed with olive oil; topped with mashed avocado mixed with a pinch of cayenne; topped with canned crabmeat mixed with lime juice, salt, pepper and fresh chopped mint from the backyard. I had a bottle of Riesling open from the night before, so I drank a glass of that. (A Sauvignon Blanc would have been even better.)

The combination of all those things put me in the best mood for the rest of the night. I was a better parent, a better partner, and a happier person than I usually am.

I wish I could re-create that experience more often. I should get more avocados.

No comments:

Post a Comment