Monday, January 26, 2009

A growing obsession

Little by little, as I've grown older, my fondness for food has grown. Things I never used to touch (onions, mayonnaise, mushrooms, duck, Brussels sprouts, and so on) have one by one become palatable, even favorites that I can't live without. As my palate has expanded, so has my interest in trying new restaurants. And cooking new dishes. And obsessing over "Top Chef." When I realized that at least 70% of my Facebook status updates were about food, it occurred to me to start this blog. If I write it down here, maybe I'll stop bugging my friends and family so much with rapturous soliloquies about roasted garlic. I kind of doubt that, though.

Because I seek out great restaurant experiences, I've also been drinking more wine. The first time I did a chef's tasting menu complete with wine pairings, I was blown away by the difference wine can make with food, and how the right pairing makes both the wine and the food taste even better. It was a complete revelation. So now I'm on a big kick to learn what I can about wines, and damn, there's a lot to learn. And because I'm impatient, I drink a lot of wine. (Yeah, that's the reason.) And the more I drink, the more I like...just like with food.

I fully expect that, as this blog progresses, I will become both huge and alcoholic. But I'll try not to.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paula,
    I'm so glad to discover your blog. I'm obsessed with food, too, so I'll be checking back often.

    I'm making Caesar Salad with grilled Salmon tonight, but no wine, unfortunately. Trying to abstain on weeknights (mostly) ;)

    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete