Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Green beans

I wasted 20 minutes of my life last night trying to force my kindergartner to eat two green beans. Green beans from a can. I know full well it's ridiculous. But that kid would cross the street to avoid a fresh vegetable, so this is the only "green" vegetable he'll eat (or it was), and I need to draw some lines, damn it, because I'm the mom.

So I won the battle, but what a stupid war. Canned green beans suck.

My own dinner was leftover lasagna, which is always better the next day, with some focaccia and roasted garlic, and a molten cake for dessert (less good on day 2). I ate it standing up while the Battle Del Monte raged on. I waited on my wine--a Beringer Founders Estate pinot noir--until after all three kids were bathed, brushed, dressed in jammies, read to, kissed and tucked away. Monday evenings are always crazy, because we have all three kids and the mate and I work all day. Around 6:30 we play short-order cooks for the little ones while he and I tend to make due with what's left on their plates or scrounge for other scraps. Even so, it's a good crazy for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment